One of the most problematic and stubborn zones of your body to slim down is the inner thigh area. It is quite hard to tone it and reduce excess fat. In this article, you’ll learn why it is so, and how to slim inner thighs.
Some body fat is essential for sustaining life and protecting your organs. Where your body stores this fat is determined in large part by genetics. Women tend to store extra fat in their hips, lower belly, and inner thighs. Men can also have inner thigh fat, although they tend to store fat in their abdomen area.
It is impossible to spot reduce your body fat. For example, if you want to get rid of your belly fat, you should lose your overall body fat as well. It is the only tried and tested approach to whittling your waist effectively. That’s why if you want to reduce your inner thigh fat, you should stick to a traditional weight loss plan – establish healthy eating habits and work out on a regular basis, full-body workouts plus exercises that target your inner thighs.
Exercises That Target Inner Thigh
To do it:
- Lie on right side, supporting head with bottom arm bent. Bend top leg and place foot firmly on the mat in front of the bottom leg, holding on to ankle for support. Point bottom foot and lift leg up high.
- In a swooping motion, trace a circle with the lifted leg (lift up each time to initiate the circle and target the inner thigh more). It might be helpful to imagine you are drawing circles on the back wall, lengthening the inner thigh, and keeping abs pulled in tight, and your whole core stable.
- Do 10 to 20 circles in each direction, and then switch sides and repeat.
- Begin standing with your feet in a wide stance.
- Keeping your chest upright and shoulders down, cross your left leg behind the right and squat down into a curtsy position.
- From the lowered position, push your body back upright, bringing your left leg back to the starting position.
- Next, repeat with the right leg.
- Alternate legs for 15–30 seconds, or perform 10–15 repetitions on each leg.
Optional: you can hold dumbbells in each hand as you do this exercise. Dumbbells can increase the resistance.
Sumo goblet squat
This exercise helps not only reduce inner thigh fat, but also tones your butt and helps to get rid of belly fat. Here’s how to do it:
- Stand upright. Then spread your feet wider than your shoulders and place them at a 45-degree angle.
- Keep your hands together under your chin or grab a dumbbell.
- Next, do a deep squat until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Keep your back straight and your knees out. Don’t round out your lower back and don’t lift your feet off the ground, while performing this move.
- Get back to the starting position.
- Do 15 reps.
Lying Frogger Crunch
- Lie on the floor with your knees bent and open to the side, in a butterfly position, with your arms resting on either side of your body.
- Raise your head, shoulders, and legs at the same time, crunching your rib cage toward your pelvis.
- Pause, then slowly return to the starting position. That’s one rep.
- Complete 20 reps.
- Stand with feet in a wide stance, with your toes and knees pointed outward.
- Slowly lower into a squat position. You can keep your hands on your hips to help with balance. Keep your spine and torso upright.
- Slowly rise back up, squeezing your glutes at the top.
- Continue for 30 seconds total.
Alternating Spiderman Lunge
- Get into a plank position with your hands placed directly under your shoulders.
- Bend your left leg and bring your knee to meet your left upper arm. Then repeat on the right side.
- Return your left leg to start, then your right. That’s one rep.
- Complete 20 reps.
Single-Leg Lateral Lunge
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, hands on your hips.
- Take a big step to the side with your right leg, then push your hips back, bend your right knee, and lower your body until your right knee is bent nearly 90 degrees.
- Push back to start. That’s one rep.
- Complete 20 reps on each side.
Make Changes In Your Nutrition
As I’ve said at the beginning of this article – excess fat can form on the body if you take in more calories than your body can use or burn off. Only exercising won’t be effective without changes in your nutrition. Your diet has to be healthy and well-balanced to provide your body with all the necessary nutrients. It should include many fruits and veggies, lean meats, fish, low-fat dairy, whole grains and good fats. It’s self-explanatory that you should avoid alcohol, bakery, sugar in any form, processed, fried and sweetened foods. Besides, remember to control your portion size, calorie intake and drink necessary amounts of water.
Just one more thing before I leave you. In this article, I gave you many exercises that target your inner thighs. These are all great exercises but it doesn’t mean that you should include all of them in your workout. Choose a few that suits you, include them in your workout routine and from time to time try some new one, add it or replace one, and so on. As you progress you’ll find it challenging to include harder ones, increase the number of reps or include dumbbells.
Be persistent and ‘listen to your body’ – don’t push yourself too much. It takes time. Don’t worry, all will be well. Love yourself:)